Welcome back after the long, not-very-hot-at-all-in-England summer. Term's starting up soon (oh, the excitement!) and we're all looking forward to the translation conference 'The Translator as Writer' on 7 November. Meanwhile, two events that may be of interest to students and graduates, run by the Chartered Institute of Linguists. The first is a webinar on 13 October on 'Building a Strong Professional Presence Online':
Presenter Sarah Dillon, MCIL
The event covers:
• Why language professionals need to seriously consider developing their professional presence online
• How to target the right online communities by designing an appropriate internet strategy
• Actions you can take to increase your visibility and enhance your reputation
• Online etiquette and how to network safely and without risk to your offline identity
• How to avoid spending hours online with little or nothing to show for it
• Actions you can take to promote yourself online without being “salesy” or pushy
NOTE: On registration you will be directed to a page giving you information as to how to pay for this event. Fees: Students £8, Members of CIoL £12.00, non-members £15. Payment by sterling cheque or Paypal (a handling charge of 70p is made for Paypal payments).
Required: Windows® 2000, XP Home, XP Pro, 2003 Server, Vista
Required: Mac OS® X 10.4 (Tiger®) or newer
Reserve your Webinar seat now at:
The second event is an offline event in London on 'Getting into Translation & Specialisation'
Saturday, 17 October 2009 at 10:30 am
Venue: Novotel, London City South
53-61 Southwark Bridge Road, London SE1 9HH
(nearest tube: London Bridge, Borough High St exit)
10:30 – 11:00 Coffee and networking
11:00 – 12:00 GETTING INTO TRANSLATION: Presentation by Philippa Hammond especially aimed at newcomers to the profession, although it will also be of interest to established translators.
12:00 – 12:30 Q&A
12:30 – 13:45 Lunch and networking
13:45 – 15:30 SPECIALISED TRANSLATION: Presentations by two experienced specialised translators, Ricardo Martínez Perales (Legal) and Noemí Rey (Mechanical Engineering)
15:30 – 16:00 Q&A, Ricardo and Noemí will form a joint panel
16:00 - 16:10 Concluding remarks and close
Enquiries to Julie Hobbs at email@example.com
APPLICATIONS BY 9 OCTOBER 2009
More information can be found here on the CIoL site.